Public Meeting to form the Friends of the Lower Field River
A public meeting was held at Hallett Cove South Primary School to seek support from local residents for the formation of a landcare group. The aims of the meeting were:
- To establish a group of volunteers affiliated with Friends of Parks Inc.
- For this group to develop a plan for the rehabilitation of the Lower Field River and its environs.
- For the group to progressively remove non-indigenous plants & weeds, and to revegetate the area with native species.
- To lobby our local council and the State Government to undertake infrastructure projects, such as the restoration of the river mouth.
- To develop a level of local "ownership" and long-term responsibility for our unique reserve.
The meeting was well attended by both residents and invited guests. Dr Bernard Doube, a scientist who spent his childhood holidays at a Hallett Cove shack, regaled the attendees with tales of the Field River as it used to be and provided inspiration for the river's restoration.
General discussion followed and a committee was elected to develop the group which in October 2006 was officially affiliated with Friends of Parks Inc.